Thursday, November 20, 2008

New Guitar Y'all

In Vinyl news, I've almost completed the basic pixies record collection, cause I picked up Come on Pilgrim the other day, wonderful. I'm not sure that Trompe le monde is distributed on vinyl, but I guess we'll see if I find it somewhere. Or I could look it up on the internet.

In Crazy News, I bought a guitar! It's an Ibanez JX70. An acoustic/electric that was manufactured around 2001-2002, I got it for 200 dollars on craigslist.

The only thing is that now I think that I hate it. I liked it when I first played it and it sounds fine, but it's got some buzzing issues and the action is way high. It's kind of heavy too. So the conclusion I came to was that I'm going to find a good shop to take it to and get it setup right. That is:

- Lower the saddle, which will lower the action (Strings closer to the fretboard) so it's a little more pleasant to play. The saddle is the white bar that sits on top of the bridge.
- Adjust the relief, this should fix most of the buzz issues. The relief is adjusted by tightening or loosening the truss rod which runs down the neck of the guitar. This will compensate for any bow in the neck.
- Fret maintainance, which I'm not sure it needs because the dude like never even looked at, let alone played this guitar.
- If my nut needs work, then screw it, i'm not going to put that much money into this guitar. That was a sexy sentence.

And the guy will like clean off the neck and whatever so the shit doesn't get moldy or whatever. Here is my dilemma: I think I am going to get the guitar setup and then just try to turn it around and sell it because it will play and sound much nicer when setup correctly. So that presents another issue which is that I'm not in love with this guitar, but if it plays and sounds good once setup, it only cost me 200 dollars so I won't know whether to sell or not.

Anyways, so now I have the JX70 and the Epiphone Custom SG, the SG won't be lonely anymore. Gear baby.

No comments: