Monday, October 20, 2008

Catching Up

I got paid, and have blown a lot of cash as of late on records, but haven't posted anything about them. These are the new additions to the collection that I can remember right now.

1. The Wanktones - Have a Ball Y'all : This was used and I couldn't resist. Not quite up my alley at all as far as the music is concerned, but the name made the purchase irresistible. I learned a little bit about them, they are a DC band from the late 70's on through the 80's, actually called the Slickee Boys. The Wanktones are "...the Rockabilly alter-ego side project..." Maybe I will turn around after a few more listens.

2. Elton John - Tumbleweed Connection: OK, just liked the looks of it at CD cellar.

3. Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die : For obvious reasons, the history of Johnny Barleycorn interests me somewhat. Or it keeps popping up. Twas introduced to me by Frank Black.

4. Johnny Cash - I walk the line : Classic, just wanted to have it.

5. Built to Spill - Keep it Like A Secret : This album is so good, also a classic, and it was out of print and is back on vinyl. Wonderful.

6. Black Star : Another classic that I had to own, and realized I should probably have it at this point. I never realized how rad the cover of the album is.


Other Stuff:




Margot and the Nuclear So and Sos also just released two new albums, Animal! and Not Animal, on vinyl as well as on CD and digitally, so I ordered those two. Not Animal was released on CD and Vinyl, and Animal on only Vinyl and digitally. I have high hopes, because The Daytrotter EP and Dust of Retreat are wonderful. The only bad news is that I ordered them to 4634 Filmore. Dick.

Also, last time I was in Pittsburgh, my brother John turned me onto Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin who are really good. They have 2 albums, Broom and Pershing, and a couple of 7"s. Broom they recorded themselves and is in my opinion a much better album. Pershing is still good but kind of turns me off because some of it is a tad cheesy. Either way, it's good music I like it a lot, check it out if you want.

No comments: